Friday, December 21, 2007

over the river and through the wood to grandmother's house we go...

Okay it is a bit further than that, but now we can sing the song to Aubrey. If only I knew more of the words....

Aubrey's first Christmas will be celebrated in Connecticut and we are headed out early in the morning tomorrow. Or really the middle of the night--4am. (bleh, i am not a morning person, but now i am used to getting up in the middle of the night, maybe it will be easier?) Our strategy is to get up before Aubrey's normal waking up time, quickly get dressed, sleep-feed the baby and put her in the car in her pjs without disturbing the sleep too much in the hopes that she will go back to sleep for a few more hours. We are trying this method as suggested by the experienced parenting advice of Daisy my sister in law who has many trips with babies under her belt. This could work really well, giving us about 3-4 hours of sleeping baby driving time, or it could backfire and just give us cranky because you woke me up early baby time.

Aubrey sometimes has a hard time dealing with new places and people, so I hope this trip isn't too stressful for her. Part of me as a mom wants to shield her from everything that makes her upset and cry and the other part of me is like, well, this is life, you have to learn to be flexible. So the two moms in me will compromise and she can take in all the new and scary stuff from the comfort of my arms (better rest now, back, because you have a lot of baby carrying to do!) I am trying not to get my hopes up too much, but it would be so very nice for Aubrey to like being held by her Gramma and Grampa (and aunt and uncle) so that I can get some R and R too!

1 comment:

Adam and Hayley said...

we just made the decision to skip the long journey this Christmas. We wouldn't have to go nearly as far as you, but we would only have 24 hours in Ohio, so we decided to stay home. I feel awful, like we're depriving our family of their newest member. But Adam has no guilt and says we're doing the right thing. I told him he should grow a soul...but still, we're staying home.