Wednesday, February 01, 2006

On Dreaming

When slumber seals our weary eyes,
The busy fancy wakeful keeps;
The scenes which then before us rise,
Prove something in us never sleeps.
.
As in another world we seem,
A new creation of our own,
All appears real, though a dream,
And all familiar, though unknown.
.
~~John Newton "On Dreaming"


For some people, dreams are a manifestation of anxieties or dominating thoughts in a person's life. If someone has something on their mind when they go to bed, often it will surface in their dreams.

For others, dreams have no relation to anything going on in their life or conscious thought. It is a time for things to surface in one's mind that would never emerge while in a wakeful state.

I definitely fall into the latter category. My dreams are vivid and fantastical. I will often wake up from a dream and think two things: where did that come from and, that would make a great movie! I enjoy my dreams, how far they take me in my imagination. The details are always very minute: from the bark on a tree to the sense of emotion. I get caught up in my dream's adventures, journeys, and secrets. Something in me certainly never sleeps--I am glad it doesn't.

No comments: